Helping Texas Families Navigate Divorce Since 1986

Obtaining Child Support And The Modification Of Child Support In Texas

I founded the Law Office of Richard Lybarger in Sugar Land to help advise and counsel clients in the Houston area who are facing family law problems including divorce, child support, paternity and child custody. In the state of Texas, parents are required to provide financial support for their children. I am a child support attorney, and I want to help my clients understand and utilize the child support laws in Texas.

How Does Child Support Work In Texas?

In the state of Texas, child support is calculated based on custody. If you are the custodial parent, the child support laws require that you receive 20% of the noncustodial parent’s monthly income (and an additional 5% per child if there is more than one child). Even if the noncustodial parent is unemployed, they are still required to contribute financially to their child’s needs.

Establishing Paternity To Receive Child Support

In the state of Texas, any child born to parents who are married is presumed to be the biological child of those parents. If the child’s parents get divorced, the noncustodial parent will be required to pay child support. When a child is born out of wedlock, in order to enforce child support obligations, paternity must be established. Both parents can agree to acknowledge paternity of a child, or a court order can establish paternity. Once paternity is established, the court can order (and enforce) child support obligations. But a paternity order will also support the father’s rights with respect to custody and visitation.

Modification Of Child Support

In a divorce action or paternity child support matter, child support is determined based on the circumstances (financial and otherwise) of the parties at that moment in time. Life circumstances and financial needs can change as time goes on. In the state of Texas, either party can request that child support be modified by filling out a Child Support Order Modification Request form. Seeking the advice of an experienced child support attorney is highly recommended. As a lawyer who has experience with child support laws, I can help you make sure you have all the necessary documentation to support a change and guide you through your modification case.

Call A Child Support Attorney Today

Whether you are in the midst of a divorce or paternity action or need the court to revisit the child support obligations, I can help you take the next steps. Call my office today at 713-678-0658 or reach out through my online form to schedule an appointment. I look forward to hearing your story and answering all your questions.